Tax Time is Show Time for Scammers
Fraudsters take advantage of you this time of year to try to steal your money or private information by pretending to be IRS agents or state tax department representatives.
The IRS wants you to know -
- they will first mail you a bill about taxes owed before making any phone call
- they will give you the opportunity to question any taxes it says you owe
- they will never call to demand immediate payment
- they will never ask for credit or debit card numbers over the telephone
- they will never threaten to have you arrested for not paying
- they won’t require a specific payment method, such as a prepaid debit card or wire transfer
Don’t let tax scams trick you into losing your money - or your sensitive information.